Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Discipline?

Alright, people, this is a serious post. Get yourself ready. I'm sure you are all aware that I have a very spirited child. I love that the most about him. He drives me crazy most of the time, but all of the time I love his spunk. He has personality. He knows what he wants and he usually knows exactly how to get it. These are the things about him that I never want him to lose. I want him to grow into an adult and still have all these qualities. His spunk, quirky personality, and enthusiasm for life are the things I love best. He can be naughty and it's sad to me that those are the moments that every body else notices. With all children, about 90% of the bad behavior should be just ignored. If they push someone, grab the victim and give them hugs and kisses and all the attention. Kids know that pushing friends is not acceptable. Usually they are just trying to get attention. And that is usually what they get. Why should the shover get the attention when the shoved is the one that really needs it? Today at work, my lovely co-worker was blaming my son for every single incident that happened in the room. If someone was crying, she was asking them, "What did Jacob do to you?" A lot of the time, my Jacob did have something to do with it, but I don't think it's fair to assume that it was his fault. Jacob gets pushed too, ya know. It makes me so sad to think that this is the way his life is going to be always. People are always going to notice and remember the bad days and just let all the fabulous things slip by. What about the fact that Jacob shares all the toys like a pro? What about the great pictures he colors? What about all the times he sits quietly in the corner reading books? Am I the only one that is ever going to notice these things? I hate that society is going to push and prod until my baby is trained (forced) to act like society thinks he should. I know that raising kids is mostly about teaching them how to function in the outside world, but does it have to be this heartbreaking?

No comments: